Is that a Coaster with an Apple Logo? (Apple TV Review)

The family was at the mall over the weekend and decided to buy an Apple TV so that we'd be one step closer to having a complete set of internet TV devices.

The current Apple TV device is a small black box about the size of a stack of a few fancy drink coasters. You know the kind with cork on the bottom. It comes with an aluminum Apple remote and a power cord. The packaging is amazingly spare and elegant.

You need to supply the HDMI cable. Apple conveniently sells a matching black HDMI cable in the store. I was disappointed that the cable wasn't included in the box because you'll absolutely need one to connect to your TV. You might say cable length matters but honestly the Apple TV is so small that you won't have any trouble placing it near your TV or even velcro'd to the back.

Getting the device out of the box and physically connected to the TV took no more than five minutes. I powered the Apple TV on using the remote. There is no physical power button. Then I went through a short setup wizard which connected to WiFi and collected my iTunes account information. The software setup process took less than five minutes. That was about one hour shorter than the Google TV setup!

I watched a few YouTube videos.


Then I went on to trying content on my home network. This was a bit more work. I had to startup iTunes on my desktop machine and turn on home sharing. Once enabled Apple TV could browse and play content in my desktop iTunes. As far as I can tell, Apple TV doesn't support DLNA. This leaves out a lot of content on my home network because I don't put everything into iTunes -- also frankly, I don't like the video playing experience in iTunes so I don't have a lot of incentive to add video there beyond what I want to sync with devices. I'll wait and see if Apple TV makes moving content to iTunes worthwhile. For someone with a completely Apple home network this won't be an issue because they'll most likely have all their content in iTunes already.

The Netflix interface was up next. I had to enter my Netflix username and password. Sometime while I was doing that I realized that I didn't even need to look at the Apple remote to know how to use it. It was also clear to me that Apple TV was easy. I hadn't opened the manual once. I actually hadn't even pulled the manual out of the bottom of the small Apple TV package. Netflix was up and running with a nice snappy interface.

Apple TV Manual Still in Box

Finally, I loaded the Apple Remote application on my iPhone. After installing the application it controlled the Apple TV with no additional setup. The interface that allows you to browse and play your iTunes libraries is pretty amazing. You get album artwork, playlists, etc. all on your phone. It also worked nicely for Netflix while essentially emulating the aluminum remote with a pop-up keyword available when needed. However, even with all that goodness I can't see myself using it because the aluminum remote is good enough.

At this point, I can already give the Apple TV a big thumbs up for easy setup and doing the core things (Netflix, home network, YouTube) well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2011 Lexus ES 350 Electronics Review

Acer Aspire Revo 3700 and XBMC

Firmware update 320ABBF0 for ADATA AS511S3-120GM-C works (ADATA S511 Firmware Update)