Vaistech VML (MultiMediaLinQ) Update

Just wanted to give an update on my last post about the Vais VML MultiMediaLinQ.

Over the last several months I've had a lot of different devices connected to it. I'm happy with the VML but I hadn't found a storage device that worked perfectly. All the mechanical USB drives I connected would occasionally go offline requiring me to unplug the USB cable to reset everything. Turns out those mechanical drives don't like speed bumps or cold weather. Who knew? Even thumb drives sometimes needed a reset (probably not due to speed bumps).

The most stable device has been the iPod which never needs a reset but the sound quality is degraded for some music. I'm not clear on technical reasons why that would happen but I suspect there is some issue in the conversion from digital to analog. I should mention that this is only true for my older 60GB iPod. Music from my iPhone sounds perfect. I would use my iPhone but I don't want to use up all the space on the device for music. I need to reserve space for taking photographs or videos of the kids. Also, I like to just start up the car and go so having to connect the iPhone is not ideal.

I've been waiting for a USB SSD solution to become available. I figured it was only a matter of time. I ended up getting the ADATA Nobility N002 USB 3.0/SSD 128 GB last week. Not really reasonably priced but it had all the features I wanted. If it didn't work well in the Lexus I wanted to be able to use it as a notebook or desktop drive. It has both a USB 3.0 and SATA II interface. It's packaged to work both internally and externally. It's got a USB port on the side so you can connect it to your laptop or desktop externally. It's also a normal 2.5 inch SSD so it would fit inside a notebook or desktop. Finally, it's a speedy SSD (meaning it's a really fast drive).

I loaded the ADATA up with 80GB of music and connected it to the VML. Tried to lower my expectations before I connected it to the VML USB port and waited for it to start up. In just a few seconds the music started.

After hours of driving (with some speed bumps) no resets have been required. I'm happy to report that the ADATA works perfectly with the VML.The VML also boots up quicker than it did with the mechanical USB drives, I think it may actually switch songs faster too.

(Update 12/13/2010: After more than 40 hours of driving the new ADATA drive is working perfectly. No resets required or any other problems to report.)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

2011 Lexus ES 350 Electronics Review

Firmware update 320ABBF0 for ADATA AS511S3-120GM-C works (ADATA S511 Firmware Update)

Acer Aspire Revo 3700 and XBMC